Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mother Nature Mood Swings.

My mom and I totally survived a Tornado. Kind of.

[These are the building materials and carts that were flying around during the "tornado"]





My mom and I really thought we were in the middle of a tornado.
Here is how the scare came about:

It all started Saturday night around 7.
We left Morgan at Campus because she had chapel.
So me and my mom went back to target to grab a few more things that we had forgot the first time.
On the way to target it started raining, then thunder and lightening came very quickly after that.
I didn't really think anything of it at first. Ive been in storms before, whats the big deal??

Boy was I wrong. Storms in Oklahoma are nothing like storms in California. Nothing, I tell you.

As we pulled up to target it had starting pouring really, really hard. So we decided to wait in the car for a few min to see if it would calm down since we didn't have an umbrella.
That was a very bad idea.

While we were sitting there it just got worse and worse, the wind kicked into high gear and the rain started coming down in sheets, lightening that lit up the entire sky, nothing like I have ever seen before.
All of the sudden we saw a shopping cart move quickly across the parking lot and get stuck in between a couple cars. 
The thunder became so loud we started to get really scared.
My mom finally turned to me and in a panic said "Jamie! are we in a tornado?!?!"

Talking about it now I am totally laughing at us because little did we know, storms like this were very normal.  Anyways, I hadn't even thought about there possibly being a tornado but just as she said that I looked in the rear view mirror and saw shopping carts and building materials from a new building that was being built nearby flying through the air. 
I was convinced that if we weren't in a tornado yet, we were about to be.
I have never been more scared in my entire life.

[More materials that were all over the parking lot after the storm]


I would rather have been put in a dark alley alone with some shady guy probably packing a weapon then a storm like that.
That is how scared I was.

My mom and I started praying and quoting scripture like we have never done before. We even called my dad and made him pray with us over the phone.

The storm only lasted like that for about 15 min, and then almost completely stopped raining and storming. We quickly went inside the store and asked if it was normal and was assured by the clerk that yes it was normal and no it wasn't a tornado. She did mention that if there was to be a Tornado that we would definitely hear the sirens so not to worry(umm that just made us worry more, we started praying that target had a tornado shelter they would let us hide in.)We ended up being nervous and jittery for the next few hours.
This was Saturday night and we weren't leaving Tulsa until Thursday night.
I was ready to go home early. Like right then. I also decided I would never live anywhere where there was the possibility of a tornado. My sister will be lucky if i visit her there again. 
 [you cant tell in the photo but there were some porta potties also knocked down, we saw the guys cleaning them up the next day, they looked like they were having a blast]

So no, it wasn't a tornado.
Wasn't even close to a tornado.
Turns out Mother Nature was just having a mood swing.
And even though we weren't sure we were going to, we did make it out alive.
and now can laugh at ourselves about what stinkin scaredy cats we were.

Feel free to laugh with us. Or at us. I would laugh at us.
-Jamie

No comments:

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme